Office cleaning is an essential task that ensures a healthy, safe, and productive work environment. However, not all areas of an office receive the same level of attention and care when it comes to cleaning. Some areas are more visible and accessible, while others are hidden or hard to reach. Certain areas are more frequently used and contaminated, while others are less so. As a result, some spaces in an office may get overlooked or neglected when it comes to cleaning, creating potential health and safety hazards. Keep reading as we identify some of the most common areas of an office that get overlooked, explain why they shouldn’t be ignored, and provide some tips on how to clean these areas effectively and efficiently.
Areas that Are Often Overlooked
Here are some of the areas of an office that often get overlooked when it comes to cleaning:
- Air vents – Office air vents are a breeding ground for dust, allergens, and even mold. Over time, this can lead to poor air quality and health issues among employees. Regularly cleaning and disinfecting air vents is crucial for ensuring the air circulating in your office is clean and safe to breathe.
- Light fixtures – Ceiling and wall-mounted light fixtures are often forgotten during routine cleaning. Dust and dead insects can accumulate, not only affecting the quality of light but also creating an unappealing aesthetic. Regularly cleaning and maintaining light fixtures can brighten up the workspace and improve the overall ambience.
- Behind and under furniture – Cleaning under desks, cabinets, and other office furniture may seem insignificant, but it’s where dust bunnies thrive. Neglecting these areas can lead to allergies and respiratory issues among employees.
- Electronics and cables – Keyboards, computer mice, and telephone handsets are notorious for harboring germs and bacteria. Regularly disinfecting these office essentials is crucial for preventing the spread of illnesses. Additionally, the tangle of cables under desks can accumulate dust and become a fire hazard if not managed properly.
- Breakroom appliances – Microwaves, refrigerators, and coffee machines in the breakroom often get overlooked in cleaning routines. Spilled coffee, forgotten food, and crumbs can quickly become a breeding ground for pests and bacteria. Keeping these appliances clean not only ensures food safety but also promotes a more pleasant breakroom experience.
- Wall scuffs and marks – Walls are often subjected to scuffs and marks from moving furniture, accidental spills, and everyday wear and tear. These blemishes can make the office look unkempt and unprofessional. Regularly touching up the paint and removing scuffs can help you maintain a polished appearance.
- Elevator buttons and handrails – Elevators are high-traffic areas numerous people use throughout the day, yet they’re often neglected when it comes to cleaning and disinfecting. Given the potential for the spread of germs, viruses, and bacteria, elevator buttons and handrails should be regularly sanitized.
- Plants – While indoor plants can improve the aesthetics of an office, they can also collect dust on their leaves and attract pests. Regularly dusting and caring for indoor plants not only keeps them healthy but also maintains a clean environment.
- Office supplies – Shared office supplies like staplers, pens, and scissors can become germ hotspots. Employees often handle these items, sometimes even when they’re not feeling well. Regularly sanitizing these supplies can prevent the spread of illnesses among your workforce.
- Ceilings and light bulbs – Ceilings and light bulbs collect dust and dirt over time. Neglecting these areas can result in poor lighting and a dingy appearance. Cleaning and maintaining ceilings and light fixtures can create a brighter and more inviting workspace.
- Windows – The windows in your office are not only important for letting in natural light and fresh air but also for creating a pleasant and professional appearance for your business. However, they can also get dirty easily from dust, pollen, rain, smog, fingerprints, and bird droppings. Dirty windows can block the light, reduce visibility, and make your office look dull and uninviting. You need to wash and polish your windows inside and out on a regular basis.
When to Hire Professional Commercial Cleaning Services
If you don’t have the time or resources to clean these areas of your office yourself, you can always hire a company that provides professional commercial cleaning services to do the job for you. Professional cleaners have the expertise, equipment, and products to clean and sanitize every area of your office, leaving it spotless and germ free. They can also customize their services to suit your specific needs and budget.
To hire high-quality professional commercial cleaning services, San Diego businesses should follow these steps:
- Research reputable cleaning companies in your area. Read reviews, testimonials, and ratings from previous customers. Check their credentials, certifications, and insurance. Ask for references and a portfolio of their work.
- Contact the cleaning companies and request quotes. Provide them with the details about your office, such as the size, layout, and condition. Specify the areas you want them to clean and the frequency of the service. Compare the quotes and choose the one that offers the best value for your money.
- Schedule a consultation with your chosen cleaning company. Discuss your expectations, preferences, and concerns. Ask them about their cleaning methods, products, and equipment. Review their contract and policies, sign the agreement, and confirm the date and time of the service.
Office cleaning is not only about making your office look neat and tidy. It’s also about making the office healthy and safe for yourself and your employees. By paying attention to the areas of your office that often get overlooked when it comes to cleaning, you can prevent health and safety hazards and improve the quality and productivity of your work environment. Whether you choose to clean these areas yourself or hire professional commercial cleaning services, you can rest assured your office will be clean and sanitized from top to bottom.
Because the professionals at One Source specialize in commercial office maintenance, we understand the specific pain points for office managers, business owners, and professionals. We’ve been in the business of coordinating office cleaning services San Diego businesses have relied on for years. At One Source, we’re committed to being the last and only commercial office maintenance company you’ll ever need in San Diego. To discover the difference we make, schedule a consultation and receive a free estimate within 24 hours. Give us a call today at (858) 260-1090.